Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Alert! United Sound is Coming to Briar Woods

A new fine arts program coming to Briar Woods!

Briar Woods has had a fine arts department since 2005, when it opened. It harbors more than 10 music, art, and drama classes, making it no surprise when a new addition is added in 2025. United Sound is a “unique program designed to offer musical opportunities to chronically underserved populations,” says the official United Sound website. The program is a new opportunity for the 2024 – 2025 school year, and will be available as an elective or study hall, as the class is only forty-five minutes.

Dr. Murphy, Briar Woods’ guitar teacher, is the mind behind bringing this program to Briar Woods and will be the primary teacher in the course. Dr. Murphy got the idea from the band director, Mr. Minnick, and later found out that Patrick Fritz, the guitar teacher at Stonebridge High School, was already teaching this class. United Sound has already come to “four or five high schools around this area,” said Dr. Murphy. He believes this program will be “something great to give to the entire community and help the special needs kids to become part of the school.”  The class can be taken as an elective or a study hall since it will only consist of around forty-five minutes of work for the student mentors. United Sound focuses on bridging the gaps between special needs students and other music students by writing adapted pieces so that they can perform on stage with larger ensembles. 

The curriculum is designed to “teach students with developmental disabilities to read musical notation,” said Dr. Murphy. The student mentors will “write an adapted part from music we’re already playing in the concerts.” Mr. Tangredi is the choir teacher at Briar Woods and explains that the process of applying for this program has to be done through Mr. Murphy, or “if you don’t get a chance to do that, just talk to your counselor.” Nick Jennings is a student at Briar Woods and is in a Jazz band and regular band. He’s considering taking United Sound next year and believes that United Sound is a “great way to integrate special needs kids into a fundamental aspect of our school,” he said. As for the atmosphere, he believes that “it’ll be energetic, and filled with people striving to be the best musician they can.” To continue his statement, Jennings concluded that “the adversity that is faced will only breed more love and thankfulness for their instruments.”

View Comments (1)
Donate to Falcon Flyer
$185
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.