Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

A Guide to Trendy Water Bottles

Pros and cons of popular brands of water bottles

Water. Every living creature needs water to survive. The question is, how do people decide to drink it? A coffee mug, glass cup, or wine glass are all viable options; however, water bottles are the most used on the go. They are practical, reusable, and invincible to a certain degree. But which water bottle is the best? Some are tough but do not carry ice; some are pretty but break when set down. Like many other odd trends, water bottles are becoming a fashion item among younger generations, and these are some of the most ‘trendy’ on the market.

When looking for a water bottle, there are many different approaches a person can take. They can take a feasible route, or they can take a trendy route. Companies must incorporate both aspects into their marketing to survive in the competitive industry today. Owala is a company that recently emerged due to the trend on TikTok, where the cap is said to make the user look like a koala bear, hence the name Owala. A student at Briar Woods, Anna Guo, recently bought an Owala to carry her through her day. “Owalas keep my water cold and don’t scratch easily from my cats, so I’d say the best quality is probably the long-lasting aspects of the bottle,” said Guo. Opposing the benefits, an issue Anna Guo identified was that “the cleaning of the bottle as a whole is quite tricky.”

With Owala on the rise to popularity, competition starts between new and old. Stanley is another brand of water bottle that has gained attention recently. However, the Stanley brand has a unique aspect to its product. Stanley’s motto is “built by Stanley, created by you,” which was sparked by customizing the water bottle before it is sent. “I bought a Stanley for the colors and the straw,” said Riley Roberson, a Stone Bridge High School student. It is true; many people are drawn to Stanley due to its seasonal designs and practical straws, which can be decorated with cute animal water stoppers. “The downside is that they can be pretty expensive,” Roberson contrasted.

Both water bottles have similar practicality and appearance attributes, which is why they are doing well on the market. No water bottle can be perfect, but in the words of Anna Guo, “As long as the owner enjoys it, that’s all that matters.”