Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Teacher Shortages In Loudoun County

Teacher Shortages In Loudoun County

There is a shortage of teachers in Loudoun County Public Schools. Teacher shortages have led to having long-term substitutes in classrooms. Because of these shortages, students’ ability to learn in the school community is negatively affected. Teachers aren’t getting paid as well, so many are trying to find better-paying jobs. Some teachers are teaching at multiple schools, and because of this, long-term substitute teachers have to fill in their teaching spots in the meantime. 

The shortage of teachers has affected many students around Loudoun County in their learning ability in a subject by having little instruction and connection to their long term substitute. An anonymous student at Briar Woods says, “Long term substitutes have not a lot of experience in the field of study and can’t answer questions that the students have previously learned about. They also have less of a connection with the students that the teacher has already had.”

According to James Fedderman, president of the Virginia Education Association, “To be blunt, low pay in Virginia is contributing to teacher and other staff shortages. The impact of staffing shortages on the day-to-day operation of a school is almost impossible to understate.” 

Since there are teacher shortages, it affects students greatly by not having as many opportunities to learn and grow, and extra help outside of class would be a struggle. Maya, a 9th grader at Briar Woods says, “With fewer teachers, teacher burnout may occur, which would result in less effective teaching during class during class time, as teachers are lacking energy”