Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Predicted Solar Flare of 2024

What’s happening and what it’s going to effect

Many social media platforms throw propaganda toward their audiences to spur more attention to the forum. NASA scientifically identified one of these seemingly spontaneous ideas, shocking those who had made fun of the idea. NASA explains a flare as a time when “the sun will reach its solar maximum in 2024, which means it will be admitting solar flares, one of which is predicted to hit the earth and disrupt technology worldwide.”

News of the solar flare has spread quickly worldwide, causing many rumors about the event’s impact. A college student at Mary Washington describes the possible effects of these events to influence the “economy by shutting down internet services so companies can’t access it.” This impact would change the entirety of the workforce by causing “people to lose their jobs if it’s extended.” Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic happened, most schools have switched to digital resources, and the student pointed out that “schools won’t be able to function because most assignments are online.” and “they won’t be able to access study resources.” 

News and research about the solar flare have also reached high schools. Salem Bayfield, a Briar Woods student interested in physics and sciences, has researched and come to similar conclusions about what the flare would affect. They focused on the general public influence, saying, “the solar flare will influence telephone poles, which can take out internet caused by the downing of satellites.” Another aspect they looked into was the positive side of the event, detailing how “giant magnetic storms could cause impressive aurora borealis displays.” At the end of their presentation, they said that the solar flare would “be the cause of some awesome northern lights and drama among the youth and governments.”