Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

The WNBA: We Got Next

Vi Webb
Created in Canva

A new season of the WNBA has started with an air of excitement. The long awaited addition of rookie Caitlin Clark to the Indiana Fever brings high expectations of increased viewership, drawing more advertising dollars, which could open up opportunities for more money in the WNBA and increased salaries for players.

In addition to Clark, rookie Cameron Brink, drafted by the Los Angeles Sparks, and rookie Angel Reese, drafted by the Chicago Sky, have contributed to the increasing popularity and success of the WNBA. Each of these three rookie players brings different invaluable skills to their respective teams. Clark shines as a facilitator and scoring threat for the Fever. Brink, the Sparks Center, is proving to be a defensive powerhouse as an elite shot-blocker. Reese, with her athleticism, physicality and work ethic, is a force to be reckoned with on the Sky, as she is among the league leaders in rebounds and steals.

As the season has progressed, the spotlight broadened beyond the media coverage of Clark, to include the attention earned by Brink and Reese. Their immediate impact is beneficial for the league in terms of raising the competitiveness between players. With the amount of interest generated from the presence of these developing players in the WNBA, it is not shocking that they have already come up in the Rookie of the Year conversation. Regardless of the outcome, WNBA fans have a great deal to look forward to as this season unfolds.