Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

NBA Playoffs 2024: Update on the Conference Finals

Vi Webb
Created in Canva

With the Western and Eastern Conference’s first round and semifinals out of the way, there are only three teams left in the playoffs. The Boston Celtics swept the Indiana Pacers in the Eastern Conference finals, seucring their spot to the NBA Finals on Monday, May 27. In the Western Conference finals, the Minnesota Timberwolves won on the road on Tuesday, May 28, forcing a Game 5 against the Dallas Mavericks on Thursday, May 30 at 8:30 pm.

The Celtics are currently favored to win the NBA Finals this year, with star players like power forward Jayson Tatum and small forward Jaylen Brown averaging close to 20 points per game, and power forward Al Horford averaging 8 rebounds per game. However, with the Timberwolves’ center Rudy Gobert winning the record-tying NBA Defensive Player of the Year award for the fourth time, and a promising performance from small forward Anthony Edwards, some people are starting to wonder whether the Timberwolves may have a chance at winning the NBA Finals. Additionally, with dominant players such as point guards Luka Dončić and Kyrie Irving on the Mavericks, either team that will face the Celtics in the NBA Finals has the potential to challenge them for the NBA Championship.

Make sure to watch the next Western Conference finals game between the Timberwolves and the Mavericks this Thursday, May 30 at 8:30 pm to see whether the Mavericks will advance to the NBA Finals or if the Timberwolves will force a Game 6.