Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

The Apple Vision Pro, a Revolutionary Device

courtesy of Burst

From iPods to wireless headphones, Apple has proven themselves to be a revolutionary tech company over the years. Likewise, on Feb. 2nd 2024, Apple released a groundbreaking piece of technology: the Apple Vision Pro. This device is Apple’s first virtual reality, and their first 3D camera. However, it has come into the limelight because of its surreal look on peoples faces. While driving, many people have been seeing pedestrians wearing these headsets and tapping buttons in the air, almost like an alien from a futuristic planet that we see in sci-fi movies. They have been describing these sightings as a glimpse of the future. With that being said, it brings up the question, how will the Apple Vision Pro impact us? 

Essentially, this headset mimics an iPhone or Macbook, while integrating Augmented and Virtual Reality. While a user has their headset on, the basic Apple apps show up like a Home Dashboard. The apps that appear are Apple TV, Notes, Music, Settings, Messages, Mail, Photos, etc. As said by Apple themselves, the Vision Pro brings 3D objects to life. A user can pull a 3D object out of an application and look at it from every angle, as if it is a real life object. The Apple applications can be pulled out and expand fully into your space. This headset is such an interactive and unreal experience that the human interaction with them is immensely different when compared to a normal apple device. 

“I think the Apple Vision Pro has its pros and cons but one of its biggest cons is that it can encourage lethargy, since you are doing everything with a headset,” said Resha Donepudi, sophomore at BWHS. 

Although this headset is impressive, many people have been taking it too far, and bringing them into inappropriate situations. In fact, the New York Post reported on a groom wearing his headset to his own wedding. As the look was quite alienating, it showed a visualization of what might occur in the future. Not only that, but over exposure to headsets with simple and easy access like these will definitely promote lethargy and even unsafe conditions for the people wearing the headset and the environment around them as well. 

“I personally think that this device is cool, but I don’t like it in our society because it seems too technologically advanced. I would compare it to Ai” said Maanya Nandamuri, sophomore at BWHS. 

The New York Post also reported that San Diego Police issued a warning after catching a pedestrian crossing the street with one of these headsets on. Shockingly, the device has only been released for a little over a month, meaning that there will be more and more sightings of this headset in public as time goes on. Since the headset has already posed dangerous conditions on roads, many police departments and state governments will create new rules to accommodate the drivers and the pedestrians in case of an accident.  

“Keep those virtual experiences on the sidewalk, folks, and let’s cross streets the old-fashioned way with our eyes wide open to the real world, unobstructed and without distractions!” NBC news reported. 

Although this new device has entered the market with some shocking reviews and effects, it really does set a standard for Apple and many other tech companies. It sets the foundation for the blossoming field of Virtual and Augmented reality which will be very useful in the years to come. According to Forbes, “the Apple Vision Pro is also poised to leap us forward when it comes to interactive and experiential learning.” An example that they used was that this device can be implemented into our schools for a better learning experience. Instead of looking at history through textbooks and pictures, students can actually experience it, creating a whole new landscape of thought and complexity in our learning and education system. 

“You can’t just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they’ll want something new.” is something Steve Jobs said, the creator of the iphone, and the creator of Apple. Let this be a reminder of the technological revolution and evolution that we are going through as of this moment. Although the apple vision pro is just a small almost miniscule item in our copious galaxy, it is truly the start to something great.