Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Is “Swelce” Overhyped

According to the LA Times, the Super Bowl attracted 123.4 million people because of Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift was seen at the event and was on screen for about 25 seconds of a four hour game.

Kathryn Wenborn is a “Swiftie” from Australia. “Taylor Swift is our generation of the Beatles or Elvis. She writes songs about a huge breadth of the human experience and allows her fans to identify with her in a way not many artists do,” states Wenborn. Fathers’ genre of music consisted of listening to Elvis, and their daughters are now sharing the music of their generation.

Swift and Kelce’s relationship has drawn a substantial amount of attention, spreading all over the media. Kelce is known for his position as a wide receiver on the Kansas City Chiefs football team, while Swift is known for her long lasting music career. The couple seems to have brought fathers and daughters closer together because girls are more invested in football and dads are listening to Swift’s music.

Ashley Cinquegrani used to consider herself as a Swiftie, but not as much now.

“I think it’s overrated a little because they keep hyping up Taylor Swift in every game, as well as putting the cameras on her every five seconds,” says Cinquegrani.

Although Cinquegrani is still somewhat a “Swiftie”, there are times at the Super Bowl when it got too much. “She deserves the attention especially with all the work she’s done for the music industry. However, I don’t like the attention she got at the Super Bowl, especially when I was trying to watch the game and not her” she states.

Both the singer and football player are still in the public eye, even after the Super Bowl, and that can either be a good thing or a bad thing for “Swifties” and “Non-Swifties.” Some people are starting to dislike Swift. Although, more of an audience is watching football, which leans towards the father-daughter direction.

“On Sundays we can gather at least a half of a game and talk about the home team [Commanders]. It’s not about whether they win or lose, it’s about that half of the game where we can sit together as daughters and father enjoy the game while wearing jerseys, making food and just enjoying one another’s company” explains an anonymous dad that did not wish to be identified.

The real question is, is “Swelce” overhyped? Do they deserve all of this attention? And can they be considered the couple of the year? Well, it can certainly be considered that they bring together a father-daughter bond. The only way to find all this out is if Swift continues to make appearances at Chiefs games when the football season starts in the fall.