Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

The SJW Falcons

The SJW Falcons

Scholastic Journalism week is here! Officially starting on February 19th to the 23rd. There are many different kinds of journalism out there such as: photojournalism, broadcast journalism, print journalism, entertainment journalism, and so much more. Throughout history, journalists have written various stories about media technology, sports media, opinions, current events, etc. While in school, students often use print journalism, a popular type of journalism for kids between the ages of 14-18, to write on their own schools websites. On Briar Woods’ own digital newspaper, the Falcon Flyer, students in their freshman year all the way to their senior year are able to write about anything they would like to as long as they take the journalism class. 

There are many challenges that take place while taking journalism. Fellow journalists share their biggest challenge they face while writing articles. Quinn Wierzbicki claims their biggest challenge is “Thinking what to write about” while Nandia Tamir’s is “Thinking of who to interview”. Along the way, there are many accomplishments too. Jasmine Arisandy says their best accomplishment is that “you get to face your fears”. Vi Webb’s greatest accomplishment is “making people feel seen and represented” in her basketball articles. Scholastic journalism week is under recognized  and does not gain enough attention throughout school or online. Students can show appreciation by simply saying “Thank you” to the publication staff. Scholastic Journalism Week has a different theme each year. with this year’s being “Here to stay.”

The creativity in journalism is endless! On the Falcon Flyer, you can learn updates on school sports, music opinions, school policies, teacher spotlights and more! Podcasts are another way people like to spread their creativity. Students publish in the school newspaper once a month with new and creative articles along with different types of podcasts. If a student finds themselves interested in sharing new ideas, grades 9-12, public or private school, all across the U.S. are able to participate in this upcoming event for Scholastic Journalism Week! According to the Journalism Education Association, there are rules that need to be followed, such as:

• Students must enter through JEA headquarters.
  • Students must create an original design.
  • The Journalism Education Association has the right to edit, publish or otherwise duplicate any design entered into the contest without payment to the designer.
  • Due to the volume of entries received, only national winners will be contacted with the results.
  • The entry fee for this contest is $5 per design.
  • The poster design must illustrate the theme for the year.
  • Each entry must include the Entry Form.
  • The poster should include the text: Here to Stay, Scholastic Journalism Week, Feb. 19-23, 2024.
  • The artist’s signature may be included in the design.
  • Any stock art or copyrighted material used in the design must be identified in the Entry Form. Failure to identify non-original material will result in disqualification.

If this has any interest to you then make sure to register now!