Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

New Year, New Me!

New Year, New Me!

In 2024, many students make resolutions so they can accomplish their goals and improve themselves. While students put the effort into accomplishing their News Year resolutions, some do not follow through with their resolutions mostly because of obstacles, accountability, or challenging goals. The journey through fulfilling a New Year’s resolution grants others the self- satisfaction and beneficial outcomes. 

A majority of New Year’s resolutions focus on physical and mental health. According to Forbes Health, Judy Ho, a licensed clinical and forensic neuropsychologist says, “Exercise increases the amount of happy and excitatory neurotransmitters in your brain, including endorphins and dopamine.” Physical and mental health interconnect, so ultimately by working out, mood, emotion regulation, sleep, focus and attention, stress, anxiety and depression, confidence, and self-esteem increases. According to a OnePoll survey on Forbes Health, research illustrates that 48% of respondents note that improving fitness is the top goal they desire to achieve. 

Aleena Farhad, a 10th grader, shares her goal about her current sport, saying  “My goal was getting 1st place in the taekwondo board breaking tournament. I practiced and put in all my effort in class and practiced techniques at home as well.” Although these goals can seem daunting, Farhad reminds individuals to “Try your best and put in all your effort and don’t give up, which is an important mindset to have when achieving goals. If you make a mistake then push yourself back up” 

New Year’s resolutions bring a sense of accomplishment for the person who manages to achieve them. A freshman talks about their experience with resolutions, “They’re very helpful with self improvement for the New Year and they make me feel more confident in the goals I achieve.” The motivation that derives from achieving resolutions can help reach further goals in future years. The freshman continues to say, “They’re a great motivational tool for improving your good habits.” 

New Year’s resolutions are held by individuals from fitness related goals to academic ones. Resolutions are very helpful because they give a sense of accomplishment when achieved. It is important to remember that failures do not define anyone. Although goals can seem daunting and difficult to achieve, it is important to remember to never give up.