Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Briar Woods Boys Varsity Basketball: Season Update

The Falcons continue their solid season and move to 8-11.

With the Briar Woods Boys Varsity Basketball team well into the season, Coach Butler addresses what he hopes to accomplish. “The long term goal is to compete for [the] district title. We’re trying to win a district title and advance to regionals this year,” said Coach Butler.

As for how the team is going to get there, Coach Butler explains, “We’re striving for consistency and if we can get that, I think we can be a good team.”

Noah Lee, senior and point guard, reflects on how he has maintained a determined mindset, stating, “We’re going to face a lot of difficult teams this season, so [my mindset has been] just trying to prepare for those moments and being the best player I can be.”

After a win against Riverside on Monday, Jan. 8, the Falcons suffered a setback in their game against Stone Bridge on Thursday, Jan. 11. Briar Woods started out with a strong rebounding advantage, led by sophomore Ryan Brzezanski, but multiple turnovers allowed Stone Bridge to keep the game close. At the end of the first quarter, Briar Woods had a narrow 2-point lead with a score of 15-13. A combination of poor shooting and turnovers led to Briar Woods losing their lead in the second quarter, going into half-time with a score of 29-24. The Falcons regained momentum in the third quarter, but not enough to outscore the Bulldogs. They failed to hit a single field goal throughout the fourth quarter, scoring all 6 points on free throws, and getting dealt a 65-42 loss from the Bulldogs.

Commenting on how Briar Woods can improve after the loss, Coach Butler states, “we have to take better care of the ball. We can’t turn the ball over like that, and our effort on defense is another one. Once we take care of the defensive end, then I think we’ll take care of the offensive end as well.”

On Friday, Jan. 12, in Briar Woods’ game against James Wood, it appeared they took this to heart, and their defense helped the Falcons establish a commanding 12-1 start to the first quarter. The Colonels did put together a few runs, even taking the lead in the second quarter, and after a series of lead changes, went into half-time leading the Falcons 29-27. However, coming out of half-time, Briar Woods reestablished their earlier defensive tone, anchored by defensive team leaders Brzezanski, sophomore Devon Pettibone and junior Patrick Fraim. The Falcons turned their strong defense into a potent offense, building up a 4-point lead as the third quarter came to a close. Behind strong offensive performances by Brzezanski, scoring 17 points and Pettibone, scoring 16 points, which accounted for more than half of the team’s total points. The Falcons blew the game wide open, putting away the Colonels and winning by a score of 60-47.

With three conference games left in the season, junior and small forward Jacob Eckhaus shares what his goal has been, mentioning, “my personal goal [has been] to do whatever the team needs me to do. That’s how I get on the court, so whether it’s to defend, rebound, or shoot, I’ll do it.” Fraim, a shooting guard, shares his teammate’s sentiment, stating, “I want to be a good team player and get Briar Woods’ name in the mix of Northern Virginia to show that we’re a good basketball team.”

After a series of losses in the past two weeks, the Falcons look to bounce back in their rematch against Potomac Falls on Friday, Feb. 2. The team has shown resilience and a lot of heart, which seems to be fostered by how they play together as one. There is much to be proud of, and certainly a lot to look forward to, with this team representing Briar Woods this season.