Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Wireless Does Not Mean Problemless

A review of bluetooth devices and their negative effects on users

On Dec 13, 2016, Apple changed the bluetooth wearable market with a new idea that would positively change everything. These headphones were likely a catalyst to the huge expansion of the bluetooth headphone industry. However, as of late it has become a concern that these bluetooth earbuds are harming users in many ways.

Patently Apple has stated in their article “Apple Ruled the Wireless Earphones market in 2020 and likely to gain market share in Q4 with new AirPods Pro Release” that in 2020 Apple dominated the TWS(True Wireless Stereo Headset) market in which Apple took 31% of the market shares in 2020 which is more than three times their closest competitors Xiaomi (9%) and 4X Samsung (7%). Bloomberg reports that, “AirPods account for roughly half of sales of what Apple calls ‘Wearables, Home and Accessories,’ its fastest- growing line of business. From 2016 to 2021, sales in this category rose by 245%, to $38 billion”

While bluetooth headphones have a huge impact on the economy, they also hold the possibility to negatively affect the wellbeing of the users. The eSafety Commissioner says that the use of wireless headphones, and more specifically earbuds or in-ear headphones, for an excessive time and at an uncontrolled volume can damage the hearing of the users. 

Another concern that has been floating around is the radiation that users are exposed to from wireless headphones, which can be a cause of cancer. Nisha Parekh, parent of two BWHS students, states, “I have had concerns about the use of these earbuds especially with the side effect of hearing loss as well as with a lack of attentiveness to their surroundings.” 

She also states that there are other side effects that she is concerned about when her children use these bluetooth devices and hesitated greatly before giving any bluetooth devices to her children. While the concern of hearing loss is reasonable, being aware of how loud the volume is on a user’s device can help avoid most problems. 

The accuracy of the radiation concern is still highly debated. However, it has been proved by Aleksey Makohon in his collaboration with TREBLAB in his article, “Are Wireless Headphones Safe or Harmful For You” where he states, “Research has shown that the radiation levels emitted by Bluetooth devices, including wireless headphones, are far below the limits set by international safety standards. And, importantly, there’s no concrete scientific evidence linking Bluetooth radiation to cancer.”

Aryan Dotiwalla, a junior at BWHS, says, “I have thought about the possible side effects but I have made sure to be proactive about my usage. I have taken other precautions to ensure that I can avoid these side effects, and as a student who has to use these headphones in various instances [for school] I find the positives of using wireless headphones are more important to me than other concerns that I make sure to avoid as much as possible.”

There are many ways to avoid any consequences of these headphones, in fact, kidshealth.org shines the light on what doctors call the 60/60 rule, this rule recommends 60% sound for 60 minutes at most. Doctors and scientists suggest that younger users avoid earbuds and opt for over ear headphones, and, when you can, use wired headphones instead of wireless.