Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

The Holiday Season

The Emotions that are Present from November to January

The holiday season is celebrated around the world and in a variety of different ways. During the holiday season, most people are quite busy with buying gifts, wrapping them, and planning to spend time with loved ones. While for many the range from love and joy but can even transition to feelings of loneliness and unhappiness.

At this time of year, there is a lot to look forward to: after one holiday ends there is already another one to look forward to. For many, this time of year provides a sense of control and stability by providing the feeling of comfort and knowing what to do; having set traditions. 

Ms. Crumpler, English teacher at Briar Woods stated that she really enjoys this time and “loves having an excuse to see family…” and performing the yearly traditions that are done. Seeing that it is a yearly tradition, “I feel more connected to my childhood because it’s something that I’ve done my whole life”, stated Ms. Crumpler.

When these traditions are done every year, people start to feel more stable, knowing exactly what to do. According to the “New York Times,” a student who celebrates Christmas stated, “Every Christmas we play a game called white elephant. It’s an amazing game that I look forward to each year.” 

During Thanksgiving, there are fall decorations everywhere and a big feast usually happens. With all the decorations everywhere between each holiday during the holiday season, people usually start to feel more joyful anticipating the next holiday. The holiday season is a time to come together with family and loved ones. Throughout the winter season when Christmas is coming closer, there are usually lights everywhere from trees, front yards, and around people’s houses.  

On the other hand, stress levels and even feelings of loneliness can rise throughout this season. With calendars filled with events, falling temperatures, and limited time of sunlight, stress levels may increase. Those struggling with mental health issues may particularly have a harder time during this time.

According to the website Therapy Brands, “A NAMI study showed that 64% of people with mental illness report holidays make their conditions worse.Some may live far away from family and not have the opportunity to see them and celebrate holidays. Others may live in areas where the holidays aren’t particularly celebrated, bringing about feelings of loneliness which may lead to depression and other mental health issues. Another factor that may cause negative feelings. 

Whatever the season consider a reason to show welcoming and kindness to those around.