Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

“Set It” Towards Your Future

Addison Smit is a freshman on the Briar Woods freshman volleyball team, where she plays setter, a position she has played since grade 5. 

“There are ups and downs of being a setter but the main reason is being able to get more touches and being in charge of the court,” says Smit.

Smit was interested in trying out for the school’s freshman team because they have a good teaching and learning program. “Being a part of the freshman volleyball team is also something fun to do after school,” states Smit.

Smit gives insight on advice she would give to an athlete wanting to try out for any school sport. 

“Be more confident and never give up on your dreams. Don’t be so hard on yourself, every little thing matters,” says Smit.

Most people decide they want to try out for JV and potentially Varsity after making the freshman team, and that is the path Smit wants to follow.

“I want to continue volleyball in high school and finish out with it too, also so my skills can get better,” says Smit.

To keep active Smit also swims. Volleyball will always be her passion because she has memories and finds the positions fun to play. 

“The downside is it is more mentally challenging but in the end it is all worth it when you see everything you worked for and it all paid off,” states Smit.

As for memories, this season Smit will cherish some of the best moments. “During warmups we would always play games with each other and during warm ups I would always dive for the ball. There is not a day you wouldn’t see me on the floor diving for the ball,” exclaims Smit.

The freshman season just came to an end for the volleyball season. 

Reflecting on the season overall Smit mentions “It was a little rough at first but with a little help and getting to know people I started to fit in and help others and make new friends. Freshman volleyball will be one for the memories for sure.”