Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Testing, is it really working?

The Abundance of Tests

A student’s life revolves around one test to the next.  There are various types of testing and each teacher has a different system. When it comes to taking assessments there are many factors that can affect how much a student remembers about the material, such as the type of test taken, how the material was taught, as well as how often a test is given to students.

There are two different types of learning strategies that affect recollection of information after a  student has been tested on it. There are passive and active learning strategies. Passive strategies are used most often in classroom situations. According to Johns Hopkins University, passive learning is instructor-centered, the student is listening to a teacher’s lecture and is attempting to memorize the material through note taking and reviewing the material by rereading notes or highlighting large chunks of information. Passive learning strategies create a very superficial understanding of key concepts and form the “illusion of knowledge” in students. According to Purdue University, active learning strategies are strategies where the learner is actively engaged in deep thought of the subject matter at hand.

Test taking is not as simple as it seems, and every little detail can make or break students’ confidence and their overall score. Out of all the different kinds of tests that can be taken it is proven that the best tests to take are the ones that are quick and short practice quizzes on recently learned material.

These tests allow students to retain information better compared to simply studying the material. Cameron Pirnat, a freshman in Briar Woods said, “we take tests every two weeks.”

This is the situation for most classes; two weeks are spent on each unit and students are expected to remember and recall the information that was presented. This is especially difficult because students are not able to refresh their memory on what was previously learned.

According to her article “What Does Research Say About Testing,” Carly Berwick said, “A 2006 study found that students who had brief retrieval tests before a high-stakes test remembered 60 percent of material, while those who only studied remembered 40 percent.”

Additionally, in a 2009 study, eighth graders who took a practice test halfway through the year remembered 10 percent more facts on a U.S. history final at the end of the year than peers who studied but took no practice test.

With test taking there are huge disadvantages, and issues, that can start at an early age. Research shows that while taking tests students are riddled with anxiety and stress, cortisol, stress hormone, levels either skyrocket or they drop causing students to be disengaged. 

Test taking is a huge part of students’ lives, and in turn, can affect their overall health mentally and physically. Certain types of tests can harm students overall health and each type of test can shape the students results. It is incredibly important that the way the students are taught information and the way that they are tested on what they learnt is optimal for their education and for their overall health.