Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Crumpler

The Scholar of Literature

From substitute teacher to English teacher, Ms. Crumpler has just transitioned from part-time teaching at Rock Ridge High School and Briar Woods High School, to full-time teaching at Briar Woods. She started as a substitute teacher with Loudoun County Public Schools and has since become an English teacher at Briar Woods, starting in 2022. As her favorite subject as a child was English along with her mothers influence, she later became an English teacher.

“I have always been interested in literature since I was a little kid,” stated Crumpler. “I also want to have an impact on peoples’ lives, so I decided to pursue a career in teaching,” she continued.

With the demographics of public high school students being more diverse than in college, and the students being younger in high school than in college, Ms. Crumpler feels she can make more of a difference amongst a greater variation of students.

“I thought about being some kind of writer or editor, but I know that that’s solitary work and you’re on your own a lot,” expressed Crumpler. “I wanted to work with people. I wanted to feel like I was making a difference in specific peoples’ lives,” she continued.

Outside of teaching, Ms. Crumpler enjoys traveling, hiking, camping, reading and journaling. She most recently traveled to Mexico during the summer. She can often be found listening to podcasts or audiobooks in her free time.

“I’m originally from Lancaster, Pennsylvania and I had just graduated from Penn State when I started looking at this area. I was ready for a change of scenery so I toured LCPS schools in the area and I was really impressed with all the teachers that I met,” explained Crumpler. “I thought they were like-minded, and I was excited about the things that were happening in LCPS schools, so that’s what led me to move here,” she concluded.