Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

The New Activities Coordinator

“Whatever is on that phone must be so interesting that you’re willing to potentially walk into a brick wall”, she laughs.
The New Activities Coordinator

Laura Newell is the new student activity and engagement coordinator at Briar Woods.

She is a person with a big smile and an open heart. Newell is a versatile person who managed to become not only a teacher with 26 years of experience, but a trainer and indoor cycling instructor. She was always fascinated by Roman and Greek mythology and knew she wanted to work with kids. These were the two components that brought her to high school education where she taught Latin. 

“Teenagers have a lot to offer. Their perspectives are very unique from the ages of 14 to 18, and they change, like every year. So I enjoyed teaching Latin because I would have the same kids for 4 years, so I would watch them change and it was always fun”, Newell said.

The most challenging part of her job is to figure out how to reach every child. To figure out how to build a connection so that they could relate to one another. Mrs. Newell is willing to help her students, with all of her heart.

“I just feel like I relate to that period of a child’s life. I remember my highschool years, I enjoyed it, kind of a crazy time… Kids are trying to find themselves, and there are so many tools and tights on their time and attention… So many activities you’re involved in and things you can do…” Newell beamed.

Laura Newell is a sympathetic and reliable person who can relate to teenager’s struggles and is truly willing to help. 

She believes that “ You should just be you. You should look how you want to look and dress how you wanna dress… And It doesn’t matter what anybody else thinks, you should just be your own individual person,” Newell said.

If you would like to get to know her, you would be able to find her at room 307.