Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Live Like Hudson

As human beings, we find ourselves constantly complaining about any minor inconvenience we come across. After hearing about Hudson’s inspiring story, I found myself halting before starting to complain about anything.

This June, Hudson James Jeffries passed away due to cancer. He was a beacon of hope and positivity. Hudson showcased perseverance and bravery like no other. Though he was young, he was so mature in his thinking. Hudson’s memory lives on through his family and the people he has touched. The most recent home game for Briar Woods High School football, pays tribute to Hudson and cancer awareness.  

Sienna Casillas, one of Hudson’s closest cousins, shares his story. She doesn’t only share Hudson’s story, but she talks about the impact that Hudson has made on her life. 

When talking about Hudson and her relationship with him, Casillas felt emotional reminiscing her interactions with Hudson. “To me, Hudson was one of my closest family members [and] one of my best friends. I hate to call him a cousin because people don’t understand how close he was to me and the rest of my family,” shares Casillas. “He was akin to a little brother, and he was the closest thing I could have to a little sibling,” continues Casillas.

Hudson and his family, previously living in Seattle, moved across the street from the Casillas’, connecting their families even more. In 2017, still living in Seattle, doctors found a grapefruit sized cancerous tumor on the top right of Hudson’s kidney.

“My mom and I flew out to Seattle to help support Hudson and also help take care of Hudson’s two younger brothers Jack and Nolan,” explained Casillas. “Hudson’s surgery went smoothly and quickly and he was declared cancer free, but [he] was told that the cancer could possibly come back in 3 or more years, so he had to be tested and checked every three months until he was 10 years old,” proceeded Casillas.

Hudson continued to be healthy after his surgery until February 2022. Casillas recalls the day she saw him come home from school.

“Hudson got off the school bus and his eyelids were yellow like they had highlighter marker on them [so] my aunt took one look at him and took him to the pediatrician’s office that day,” recalls Casillas. “They said it was most likely allergies, but since it was February, my aunt didn’t believe them,” continues Casillas.

Fast forward a few weeks later, Hudson’s eyes continued to stay yellow and bad headaches started to develop as well. Hudson’s mother, listening to her gut, rushed him to the Fairfax Hospital ER and demanded that they do blood work on him.

“We received news that Hudson’s cancer had come back but this time in full force, stage 4, all throughout his body,” explains Casillas. “It wasn’t the same cancer he had before. It was worse, it was Neuroblastoma and it was everywhere,” proceeded Casillas.

After being diagnosed with Neuroblastoma, Hudson went through constant rounds of chemotherapy and treatments to help him get better.

“I watched Hudson become weaker and weaker,” recalls Casillas. “I watched him lose the ability to do the things he loved the most, adventuring, riding his bike, skateboarding, playing football and basketball, and more,” continued Casillas.

As his family watched him grow weaker physically, his mentality continued to stay strong. Casillas describes that he was ‘hopeful, determined, and fearless’ and this was always shown through his mentality.

“He quoted ‘I’m going to humiliate cancer again like I did the first time’,” reminisces Casillas.

Thinking about Hudson, Casillas and her family came up with the slogan “Hope for Hudson. Pondering about the night before Hudson’s passing, Casillas talks about all of the faith in the air in hope that Hudson’s treatment would work.

“When I awoke in the morning to my dad telling me I had to go to the hospital to say my last goodbye, I was in complete denial,” recalls Casillas. “Hudson’s parents and 2 little brothers, along with me, my parents, and my brothers, all gathered around his bed and sang the song “Three Little Birds” by Bob Marley,” continues Casillas. “We held his hand and told him that “every little thing is going to be alright,” says Casillas.

At the end of the song, Hudson James Jeffries passed away. Casillas claims that she believes Hudson passed away just how he would have wanted, surrounded by the people he loved most. After Hudson’s passing, life for Casillas and her family was difficult.

“After the passing of Hudson, I will admit, it has been hard to figure out how to go on without his constant presence,” states Casillas. “Our new slogan is “Live Like Hudson” to remind others to take risks, go on adventures, and appreciate small moments,” continues Casillas.

Inspired by Hudson, Casillas has been able to help other little kids in their battle with cancer. While talking about her accomplishments, she talks about how the difficulty of navigating life without Hudson has shaped her into the person she strives to be.

“We were able to organize a childhood cancer blood drive to help collect blood for children with cancer who need it, because Hudson was always struggling to get enough blood to raise his platelets,” shares Casillas. “I have also been able to plan and organize a Gold Out game on September 8th, for Childhood Cancer Awareness. I was able to create and sell Gold Shirts and accessories to help support Hudson and anyone battling with Cancer,” proceeded Casillas. 

It has been three months since Hudson’s passing, and this is only the beginning of what Casillas has accomplished in his memory. Since Hudson’s passing, Casillas has started to look at life through a new lens and shares what she hopes others will also learn from Hudson’s story.

“I want people to cherish their life, and appreciate small things that they wouldn’t usually think about,” shares Casillas. “When you feel like complaining about school, sports, activities, remember that there are kids that would kill to be in your position. You never know how quickly life can be taken from you,” continues Casillas.

Let Hudson’s story be an urge for you to seize the day! Make everyday worth living as you never know what day will be your last.