Summer Internships

Summer Internships

Getting straight As & taking AP courses is not enough in order to get into college anymore. 

No doubt that great GPA, SAT/ ACT scores and phenomenal essays are important, but what is even more important is a shown interest in a future field. And One of the best ways to show it is to apply for an internship.

Internships provide opportunities to be immersed in a professional environment and experience. It also helps to decide if the chosen occupation is a good fit for the person’s values. Besides, developing communication skills, working and collaborating with other people in a professional environment are helpful life skills to learn while still in high school. Mrs. Casey Wales says, “ Internship signifies to the college that you are very serious about this, because you have already kind of honed on your skills and you are gonna hit the ground running at college in the major you have chosen.” 

On top of that, the majority of students who have taken an internship were able to build relevant, useful and up-to-date connections with people working in the field. However, it is also an astonishing chance to make friends and to meet peers with similar interests. Nguyen Ngoc, a Thai student with an internship at the Harvard Crimson, states, “I created a lot of heartwarming memories. To be honest, on the last day I cried a lot. I did not want to leave all of these fantastic people I have met.”

Internship applications  have already started. Students who are interested should apply as soon as possible in order not to stress during spring exams.

Below, Briar Woods student would be able to find internship opportunities for summer 2024.

STEM:

NASA

Data Analysis & Machine Learning

National Geospatial Intelligence Agency

Business:

Bank of America Student Leader Program

LCC Mary Miller Summer Program

International Business

Law & Politics:

U.S. Senate Program

Foreign Policy Research Institute

Legal Support for Human Rights Advocacy

Arts & Marketing:

Graphic Design & Marketing

Journalism & Media

Digital Media & Communication Division

“The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.”-Steve Jobs