Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Is “The Ick” Ruining Relationships?

Harmless joke or toxic trend?

In the ever-evolving landscape of social media, a peculiar term has recently crept into the limelight in the past year: “The Ick.”

The term refers to an unexplainable sense of repulsion or discomfort towards a potential romantic partner. As this concept gains traction, debates fire: Is “The Ick” a fatal blow to romance, or merely a harmless  trend?

The term “The Ick,” originating  in TV show Ally McBeal, is a “dating term that means you get a sudden cringe feeling [where you] become almost immediately put off by [someone],” says dating coach Hayley Quinn. An ick can range from minor quirks like poor table manners, to deeper character traits or behaviors. Getting “The Ick” causes people to feel as if they should immediately back away from a relationship. 

“My ick is when they text ‘ok’ instead of ‘okay,’ and when they own like 50 different pairs of shoes,” Malalai Sharifi, Briar Woods Freshman comments. 

“My biggest ick is when someone is on their phone when they talk to you,” Hrithik Sitharaman, Freshman, adds on.

While many pass it off as yet another lighthearted internet joke, some criticize the impact they have in the broader context. Many times, the icks people get have no rational basis.

“Honestly, if you genuinely like someone then it doesn’t matter,” Sharifi mentions. “For me it’s really only when I initially see somebody I’m interested in.”

One reason icks are criticized are due to the fact that it seemingly perpetuates the social media lie of perfection. Social media bombards users with images of seemingly flawless couples, leading one to believe their own relationships should mirror this perfection. However, perfection is never really achievable, and so some critics, such as Quinn, are concerned with the way in which people immediately disregard a person due to one small flaw or quirk. Many dislike how the trend has just led others to gain superficial and unrealistic standards.

Sophomore Hayu Maheswari shares her opinion on the matter, saying, “But it’s not a huge deal, honestly. It is kind of stupid sometimes, but you can still get the ick and be in a happy relationship. Saying it is ruining romance is a bit of a stretch.”

Whether “The Ick” stays or fades, it offers a glimpse into the influence of social media on people’s perception of others. Sometimes it is necessary to put the phone down and stay grounded in reality. The right person will come in time, with patience.