Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Climate Update

A Change in Fall Temperatures
Climate Update

It is fall season again, the time to wear sweaters, drink pumpkin spice lattes, and binge-watch horror movies in the dark of the night. But climate change seems to have different plans for the season.

“I haven’t really noticed global warming in the fall, but I have seen that the weather and temperature fluctuates a lot, especially since Northern Virginia isn’t exactly cold or hot,” says anonymous, a student at Briar Woods.

Many people addressed the topic of climate change in the fall by saying that some days it is extremely hot, and some days it is extremely cold. This constant change in temperature causes a variety of problems.

“I never really know how to dress for fall, since there have been days where it’s 80 degrees, and days where it’s 40 degrees,” says Nishka Illapani, a sophomore at Briar Woods.

This dramatic change in weather is not just between two separate days, however, many times the temperature changes that much in the same day as well.

“There have been many times where I step out in one outfit that would be for warm weather, and come back later in the day freezing, and vice versa,” says anonymous.

That is not the only thing that the weather affects, it also affects activities that people may have planned. Specifically for teenagers, practices for school activities could be affected.

“I do marching band so the weather has a big role in if we can have practice that day or not,” says Yogi Mikkilineni.

So maybe climate change has not made a drastic change, but it does affect how people have to change their schedules to accommodate the ever-changing temperature patterns. And even if this change seems insignificant right now, it can have dire consequences in the long run.

“Climate change is really important for our futures and our children’s futures,” says Isha Jadhav, a college graduate.

But that does not mean it is too late to change society’s habits and ways, and if the human race collectively comes together, the mess that is global warming and climate change can be solved.

“I think we still have a couple years to try to make things better, but it might be difficult to implement,” says Jadhav.

However, regardless of how climate change affects fall activities, it should not get in the way of having fun during this season.

“Overall, the weather plays a big role in how I view fall, but the changes in weather haven’t changed the fact that fall is still my favorite season.”