Breaking News
  • February 21Happy Scholastic Journalism Week!
The Student News Site of Briar Woods High School

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer

Upcoming Weightlifting Club

Briar Woods High School presents a new Weightlifting Club. The Weightlifting Club aims to create a supportive and inclusive community that empowers individuals to lead healthier, more active lives. It promotes physical fitness, mental well-being, and a sense of belonging among the members. 

Aiden Priest, a senior at Briar Woods, founded the Weightlifting Club to pursue his deep passion for fitness. Priest explains that he wants to make a positive impact on other people’s lives. Priest says, “Our ultimate goal is to help our members achieve their fitness aspirations, whether seeking to improve their overall health, lose weight, gain muscle, or simply find a fun and motivating space to exercise.” Priest continues, “During these times, it’s easy to neglect our health and well-being. However, through this club, I aim to help others overcome barriers to exercise and provide a supportive environment for individuals to start their fitness journey.” 

Overall, weightlifting can benefit individuals in multiple ways, including one’s health, increase in mobility and agility, develop strong bones, manage one’s weight, improve muscular endurance, etc. According to Total Athlete Training, “Weight lifting is an important part of a high school athletes training program. It helps improve strength and power, as well as reduce injury risk.” Ramona Braganza, a certified personal trainer in Los Angeles, says, “For some people, the phrase strength training is intimidating, but it enhances your ability to move safely and effectively in your life, for example, your ability to lift something and put it on a shelf, carry your groceries in the door, bend down and pick something up, or get up after you’ve fallen down.”