“High School Flies By”

Photo+Courtesy+of+Akshaya+Jambunath+

Photo Courtesy of Akshaya Jambunath

Madeeha Naqvi, Reporter and Design Editor

High school is not only a level of education, but a stage in life. Starting in 9th grade, it is the road to adulthood which alters the face of one’s life, and may not always be smooth-sailing. Upon entering high school, freshmen are subjected to a multitude of challenges. For instance, transitioning from middle to high school and adopting a brand new lifestyle.

As freshmen embark on their journeys, unaware of the endeavors the next four years will bring, seniors offer guidance as to what helped them get through their high school careers.

“It’s important that seniors offer advice because everyone goes through the same four years of high school, freshmen don’t need to reinvent the wheel each time,” said Sahana Sreeram, senior and President of Model United Nations.

In a class with thirty others, a student might not always grasp the teacher’s lectures. Hence, Sreeram encourages freshmen to utilize office hours and to reach out to teachers, most of whom are available before or after school to assist students inclusively and address their questions. Teachers are better able to cater to a student’s individual needs, unlike in a typical classroom setting. For some of her most challenging classes, like AP Chemistry, Sreeram seeked help from her teachers so she could maximize her performance and grade in the class.

Some students shy away from seeking help in apprehensions of inconveniencing a teacher. However, “all it takes is a little initiative and the teachers will be delighted to assist,” Sreeram said, “Reaching out for help can really make or break your grade, so know that your teachers are here to support you.”

High schoolers are often buried with schoolwork. With countless hours of band practice, a math test coming up the next day, and the club meeting this afternoon, how can balance be maintained?

“Get your priorities right,” replied Mehda Indukuri, a senior and the president of DECA. While it may seem obvious, this piece of advice she received as a freshman was the key to her success. Having to juggle so many tasks in a day, students can sometimes struggle prioritizing.

“I found a close group of friends and sticking with them really helped me, both in and out of classes,” Indukuri said, disclosing the recipe to master prioritizing is by finding a friend group “[whose] priorities align and coincide with yours.”

Be it an acquaintance or a dear friend, being surrounded by people with similar objectives prompts individuals to strive and stay on top of their feet.

“Students undermine the importance of one’s demeanor and the impact it has in the long run,” said Aqsa Patel, a Spanish River High School graduate and a freshman at UCF. Students, in the midst of maintaining that 4.0 GPA and keeping up with extracurriculars, often disregard other aspects of life. Patel shed light on the topic- – she explains how GPAs and awards all fade away, what matters in the real world is what “you make of yourself.” Hence, she recommends to be an achiever but to also create a personality worth remembering. Although integral in one’s high school career, success is not everything.

Patel was first to say it, and soon the seniors will follow, “[the time in] high school flies by.”