Varsity Volleyball’s Three Set Senior Night Sweep

Photo by Joey Sussman

Grace Luebke, Reporter

On Tuesday, October 11, the Briar Woods varsity volleyball team came out on top in a three set sweep at home against the Independence Tigers in honor of senior night.

The start of the first set was rocky for Briar Woods, with weak on court communication and low energy. “Keeping the energy up when we’re losing” proved to be the most difficult aspect of Tuesday’s game, said junior middle blocker/hitter Shannon Callaghan. Exceptional plays by seniors Kyna Marimuthu and Jenna Van Der Biezen, as well as junior Janssens Arabia, were able to restore the team’s vitality. Set one came to a nail-biting close, with the Falcons winning 25-23 over the Tigers.

The second set began in favor of the Tigers. Poor on court communication continued to challenge the Falcons and strong hits from Independence took the home team by surprise. Junior Shannon Callaghan was a strong playmaker in this set, executing numerous blocks and hits. Her chemistry with Van Der Biezen mixed with prominent defense by other players led Briar back to the lead. The final score of set two ended in a Briar win, 25-20.

The third and final set was a breeze for Briar. The Lady Falcons entered the court with high energy, ready to end the game. Kyna Marimuthu showed an immense amount of hustle during the third set. Junior Emily Peterson also made some great plays as an aid to blocking and gaining points for Briar through kills. The final game winning score of set three was 25-14. 

Maintained stamina and leadership from the upperclassmen led the Falcons to a happy ending on senior night. “[Independence] is missing another setter, so their whole lineup is kinda switched up, which is an advantage to us,” said Van Der Biezen. 

The team’s Head Coach, Joe Riggio, said he is “super proud of the girls” and “the fact that [they] won at home in front of the fans–fantastic.” The volleyball season is far from over. With a 13-5 record and currently first in the Potomac region, the Falcons are top contenders for regionals. Students, keep up the support for our volleyball program by filling the student section at games. The next game is on Monday, Oct. 17 at home and starts at 7pm.