Briar Woods Girls Soccer Defeats Independence

Rylyn Christopher, Reporter

On Wednesday night, Briar Woods Girls Soccer beat Independence High School 3-2. They continue to go undefeated with their current record of 7-0. 

At 7:15 on their home field, the Falcons faced off against the Tigers. Last season, Briar Woods made it to the state finals. After a disappointing outcome, the returning members of the team were coming into this season with a fresh mindset. So far, the 2022 team has been “meshing really well,” said senior Lily Mitchell. Coming into this game, the Falcons were missing their starting center back, Amara Gleeves. 

The game started out as some would call hectic. Nearing the end of the first half, Independence was up 2-0. The score was 2-1 going into halftime thanks to a quick goal by sophomore Avery Maltese. The Falcons didn’t let the score change their mindset and were able to stay focused, keeping their heads in the game. In the second half, they were able to make a comeback with two goals, one by senior Taylor Price and the game-winning shot in overtime by senior Kendall Garza. Price also had two assists. Although it wasn’t easy, they were able to secure the win and continue to stay undefeated. 

Girls soccer in Briar’s conference is especially competitive. Although Briar has come out on top, schools like Riverside, Stone Bridge, and Potomac Falls are all close behind. Each of these schools has players who will be playing collegiate soccer. Briar has six college commits: Taylor Price committed to Virginia Tech, Kendall DiMillio committed to Virginia Tech, Rachel Kim committed to Bridgewater College, Kendall Garza committed to Bridgewater College, Kylie Full committed to Winthrop, and Amara Gleeves committed to Radford. 

The Falcons expect to have a successful season and will make a run in the playoffs this year. Be sure to come out to a regular-season game and support Briar Woods Girls Soccer! Follow @bwhsgrlssoccer on Instagram for updates! Game dates and times can also be found at https://www.bwhsports.org/main/teamschedule/id/14304/seasonId/4645699.