Texas Abortion Law

Siri Kunuthur, Reporter

Ever since the first law legalizing abortion was mandated in 1970, subsequent laws have caused controversy. The Texas abortion law, effective since September 1, 2021, has caused outrage among citizens. According to the Texas Tribune, this abortion law “would prohibit [abortions in] Texas… as early as six weeks [into a pregnancy].” Within this narrow timeframe, many women do not know they are pregnant.

This law also has many moral boundaries. For example, a rapist can sue the victim if she decides to get an abortion. Women can be fined up to $10,000 for choosing abortion, a child of incest cannot be aborted after six weeks, and a father can sue his daughter if she terminates her pregnancy. Nurses, insurance companies, and drivers aiding impregnated women are subject to legal punishment. The Tribune goes on to say the Texas Abortion Law is a civil law, “a set of laws that [are] concerned with the private affairs of citizens.” It is one of the most extreme passed in Texas.

Many consider this law harmful and unethical because women and teens unable to seek an abortion may reach out to illegal abortion clinics, which are known to be unsterile, harmful environments. Many feel the law is also unethical as they claim women should be able to have the right to choose whether to keep their baby or not. According to American Civil Liberties Union, about 31% of impregnated teenagers terminate their pregnancies, and when 1,209 women who had terminated a pregnancy were surveyed about their experience, 74% said they did it because it interfered with their education or job, and 73% of those women also claimed they couldn’t afford to have a baby.

Several students from Briar Woods High School were interviewed about the Texas abortion laws. When
sophomore Dianne Barahona-Bonilla was asked about her stance, she said “the state [should have] no right to dictate what women choose to do with their bodies, it is her choice and her choice only. These laws are backwards and go against everything women have fought for up to this [point].”

Kritika Kunta, a sophomore, had similar views. She was also against this law and said she “[doesn’t] think it is right for [state] government[s] to limit the rights of women … it takes away the right for women to [choose] if they want the unborn child under any circumstances.”

Suhaa Veeramachaneni, a junior, had interesting points. She said, “I honestly understand the pro-life point of view but before we worry about the baby, let’s worry about the woman who’s giving birth to it. There are so many circumstances in which a pregnancy could occur,…all of [which] only [the pregnant woman fully understands].”

Another anonymous female sophomore said, “My stance… is that it’s stupid; there is [no] reason to prohibit… [abortions],… especially that early… [Also, though] it may be… dangerous [to] a woman’s [health,] lawmakers would rather risk a woman’s life [than a] non-sentient [fetus’] that she may not want or have the resources to provide for.”

Throughout history, women have had to fight for their rights; the battle is still not over. The Texas Abortion Laws strip women of their right to choose. However, in this day and age, people have voices. Thousands have gathered together to protest. Thousands of Americans aim to one day legalize abortion through the federal government, making it illegal for any state to go against it. Until then, women must continue to fight.