Celebrating Briar Woods Seniors

Chloe DeFilippo, Reporter

Although their senior year has gone rouge from what was originally planned, Briar Woods High School seniors are able to look forward to several events in the near future to celebrate their accomplishments. 

For one, the Briar Woods Student Council Association is holding Virtual Senior Week from June 1st to June 5th. Planned activities during this week will include a door decorating contest and a show your service day, as well as more events that the SCA will be announcing.

In addition, seniors are set to receive their caps and gowns on June 1st or June 2nd in a drive-by fashion. In an email from principal Sheila Alzate, it is hinted at that “A few other surprises will also await” during the cap and gown distribution. 

Some may have also noticed something different about the digital sign in front of the school; the names and pictures of every senior of the class of 2020 are being displayed for the rest of the school year in an effort to recognize seniors for the whole community to observe.

As for celebrating individuals, two events, Senior Stories and Senior Celebration, are scheduled. Senior Stories will be a slideshow of seniors that will highlight details about the graduates, including their favorite memories at BWHS, their hidden talents, and future plans, which will be shared during the first week of June. Senior Celebration will be a virtual graduation ceremony that will air on June 10th, the day that graduation was originally planned to take place.

Finally, on May 27, Superintendent Eric Williams sent out an exciting letter to seniors in Loudoun County. It was announced that LCPS will hold in-person graduation ceremonies between June 8 and June 24 in accordance with Loudoun County and Virginia state guidelines. Though the ceremonies will be for individuals as opposed to a school-wide graduation, this still provides a wonderful opportunity for seniors to honor their accomplishments in a quasi-traditional, real-life celebration.