Region Champs Advance to State Semifinals

Rylyn Christopher, Reporter

On Tuesday night at home, Girls Varsity Soccer defeated Glen Allen High School 1-0, clinching their spot in the State Semifinals. 

In order to make it to the State tournament, the Falcons had to beat Albemarle High School. Halfway through the first half no one had scored yet. Briar was dominating possessions and getting looks to the goal but were unable to score. Sophomore Avery Maltese was the first to put points on the board. Her goal was assisted by Taylor Price. At the end of the first half, senior Kendall Garza scored, putting the Falcons up 2-0 going into the second half. Briar continued to dominate as the game progressed. The Falcons were able to score another goal, this time by Taylor Price, assisted by Lauren Cundy. Albemarle was still trailing far behind and the game ended in a 3-0 Falcon win. 

Next up, the Falcons took on the Potomac Falls Panthers. In order to earn their title as 5D Regional Champions, the Falcons had to play their best. Goals were scored by seniors Lauren Cundy and Kylie Full, and assisted by Taylor Price and Lauren Cundy. On Defense senior Goalkeeper Ana Sadler contributed by keeping the Panthers from scoring. The final score was 2-0. 

Yesterday night, the Quarter Finals took place at home. Briar took on the Glen Allen Jaguars. The first half was slow for both teams, and no one was able to put any points on the board. Going into halftime, it was 0-0. At the beginning of the second half, the Falcons started off strong. Taylor Price scored a goal, and Kendall Garza had the assist. Glen Allen was not able to match the Falcons energy for the rest of the night. The final score was 1-0. Briar Woods Girls Soccer has not lost a home game since 2016, and the Falcons were able to continue that streak last night. Senior Lilly Mitchell said, “Every time we play at home we always have this in the back of our minds.” 

The State Semifinal game will take place at Briar Woods on Friday, June 10th at 1:30 pm. Be sure to come out and support your Falcons! For future updates and additional information follow @bwhsgrlssoccer on Instagram.