Remember Their Names.

Anjali Chinnareddy, Reporter

Columbine, Sandy Hook, Rancho Tehama, Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Oxford, to name a few. At what point will America truly take a stand against gun violence in the nation’s schools? 

According to Security.org, since the Columbine massacre, there have been over 229 actual school shootings between April, 1999 and August, 2021. The Washington Post states that about 278,000 children have experienced gun violence at school since Columbine. There have been five school shootings in November 2021 alone.

Just two weeks ago, the US learned about yet another shooting, this time at Oxford High School in Michigan. The calamity claimed the lives of four innocent teenagers: Madisyn Baldwin, 17; Tate Myre, 16; Hana St. Juliana, 14; and Justin Shilling, 17, who died at the hospital. Myre was killed while trying to disarm the gunman. It should not have been his job to try to save his fellow peers. A mere three hours before the shooting, the school had a conference with the 15-year old shooter and his parents concerning graphic, detailed, gory images he had created. Administrators urged the parents to seek professional help for their son within the next 48 hours. Subsequently, the shooter resumed his day at school, without any searching of his locker or backpack. Their negligence cost the lives of four teens, and the injuries of seven others.

Many schools are taking it upon themselves to make it harder for school shooters to inflict harm. Fruitport High School, located in Michigan, added a new wing to their building equipped with obstacles – curved hallways, wireless locking doors, projecting barriers, and reinforced glass – designed to stall a potential school shooter. The curved hallways break the line of sight, making it significantly harder to take down mass numbers at one time. 

Briar Woods is committed to making our school a safe place. When asked what would happen if a student is being suspicious or has concerning behavior, the lead security officer, Mr. Ray Davis, said “[They] are able to take necessary precautions to ensure that everyone is safe” and that they will provide “resources to help them.” One thing Mr. Davis wants everyone to know is the see something, say something rule. If any student feels unsafe or is concerned about another student’s suspicious behavior, they can tell any adult they feel comfortable with, and that adult will take action. Some Briar teachers are very strict about keeping classroom doors shut and locked.

Please take school shooting practice drills seriously. If you notice any suspicious or concerning behaviors inside or around school, please speak up and tell an adult.